Non-conformity in Ickenham dates from 1831, when William Brickett and his wife invited some friends to join them in Sunday evening prayers at their cottage in Glebe Lane. The Bricketts had been worshippers at Providence Congregational Church, Uxbridge, and were encouraged by its deacons to begin services in Ickenham. The Bricketts’ cottage proved too small for the numbers who wished to attend.
In 1834, three Providence deacons were given the tenancy of a piece of waste ground in the High Road belonging to Ickenham Manor. A chapel was built at a cost of £160 and it opened on 3rd November 1835 when the Reverend John Hunt of Brixton preached the first sermon. In 1861 a schoolroom annexe was built and in 1921 a much larger wooden hall rose at the rear of the chapel.
In 1919 the chapel in Ickenham finally became fully independent from Providence Church, Uxbridge, but it was not until 1927 that the church had a full-time deacon. With the rapid growth of Ickenham in the late 1920s, the little chapel had become overcrowded. From September 1930, the village hall was hired for services.
A new site was bought in the Rectory Field, Swakeleys Road. The new building was opened and dedicated on 7th October, 1936 and has been in continuous use ever since. In 1953 a new hall was opened and later dedicated to Mr Meggeson. An additional room was added in the late 1970s from a bequest to the church from Stan Hardwick and the room was dedicated in his memory.
A covenant of friendship and co-operation between Ickenham United Reformed Church and St Giles’ was signed on 28th April 1985 and the beautifully handwritten parchments are on display in both churches.
List of Ministers
|E. A. Willis||1927-1932|
|William C. Franklin||1932-1934|
|E. J. James||1944-1952|
|G. F. Barrow||1952-1962|
|Alan O. Cassingham||1978-1999|
|J. Richard Landon||2001-2003|
The Story of Ickenham by Morris Hughes